The Montrose Management District was created by the 79th Legislature, House Bill 3518 sponsored by State Representative Garnett Coleman. Montrose saw its first development in 1911, led by J.W. Link, an executive of the Houston Land Corporation.
Link, purchase several tracts consisting of 250 acres on the outskirts of the city and immediately set about improving the property, building a main street, now Montrose Boulevard, through the center of it. The Link Lee mansion located at 3800 Montrose Blvd. (on the corner of Montrose Blvd. and West Alabama Street) is an outstanding example of the early glory days of Texas oil production. The building is a prime example of neoclassical architecture, featuring a pronounced portico, elaborate brickwork and ornate terra cotta ornamentation that is consistent with the American neoclassical style.
The building has been a Texas Historical Landmark since 2001.
Links Montrose home is now used as an administration building for St. Thomas University, a private, Catholic institution of higher learning. Originally the building housed the entire university it now contains the executive offices of the university. While still mostly intact, the mansion has been adapted to accommodate the offices of the president, vice president for Academic Affairs, Dean of Arts and Sciences, vice president for Institutional Advancement, and Alumni Relations.
Future plans involve moving the offices out of the mansion and restoring it back to how it looked in 1912. These plans are contingent upon the university purchasing adjacent properties prior to making any such moves.
From Wikipedia, the mansion today:
Also from Wikipedia:
In 1910, John Wiley Link, a wealthy lumberman, financier, lawyer, and former mayor of Orange, Texas saw a great opportunity in Houston, so he moved there and formed the Houston Land Corporation. Then he bought several tracts consisting of 250 acres (1 km²) on the outskirts of the city and immediately set about improving the property, building a main street, now Montrose Boulevard, through the center of it.
At this point, Link began to divide the property into tracts and sold them as part of a strategy to develop the first upscale residential master-planned community in the Houston area, which during the early 1900s had only a total of about 26 miles (42 km) of decent roads. After Montrose and West Alabama were paved in 1911, Link announced that he would soon begin construction of his own home within the confines of the entire block number 41 in the Montrose addition that he purchased from his own corporation. He hired the architectural firm of Sanguinent, Staats, and Barnes to design the structure that the Young Contracting Company completed in 1912 at a cost of $60,000.
Be sure and visit Drake Homes Inc Online!